5 Easy Ways to LOVE Your Eyes
In honor of the month of love, I am going to share some simple and effective ways to show your eyes a little extra TLC. Not just this month, but all year long!
1. Eat a healthy diet. Let me guess, you are thinking carrots, right? 🙂 Carrots are rich in Vitamin A and Lutein, which definitely can benefit the health of your eye. But aside from carrots, your eyes also love the antioxidants that come from dark leafy greens like kale, spinach and broccoli. Want to take it to the next level? Eat orange peppers. They have the highest level of Zeaxanthin, which huge in the prevention of macular degeneration.
2. Treat yourself to a pair of polarized sunglasses. I know, I know, I have heard it all before. “I just buy the ones from the drug store because they are cheap and they work fine.” But have you ever had a pair of polarized sunglasses made just for you? If you ask me, they are life changing. You have less glare and clearer, crisper vision. Seriously, who can argue with better vision? Give them a try and see, it is worth the investment.
3. Give your eyes a break! Lets be honest, we are on our phones and computers ALL DAY. With the increased use of digital devices, we are being more demanding of our eyes than ever before. Try to remember the 20-20-20 rule. Every 20 minutes, look up 20 feet away for 20 seconds. This allows your eye muscles to relax and refocus before you go back to what you were doing. Your eyes will thank you at the end of a long day in front of the computer!
4. Do your eyes ever feel scratchy, gritty, itchy or watery? Most likely that is dry eye. Give your eyes a soothing vacation with a drop of Systane Ultra. In my opinion, not all lubricating drops are created equal, and this is my favorite over the counter drop to prescribe my patients. You will see at the pharmacy that it is a little more expensive, but don’t worry, take the plunge! The drop is better quality and will bind to your natural tears and stay in your eye longer, which means you will use less throughout the day. If you want an even better deal, swing in to my office for a $3.00 coupon!
5. Corny line alert! There is no better gift than the gift of sight. Show your eyes how much you really love them by giving them the gift of an eye exam this month. They will thank you. I will even make it easy on you and give you a link to our website to schedule an exam right now!
There you have it! Hope your eyes are feeling the LOVE! xoxo *Dr. Lynch