Snow Again?! Just keep cooking…
I am sensing a pattern here…. it snows, and I make a warm, comfort meal to cheer myself up. I also have been creating meals based on using up weird, random things I have in my pantry, so this Chicken Broccoli Orzo Skillet was a perfect way to use up the half eaten bag of orzo rice I found. Very easy, and my kids devoured it because it has some of their favorite things, noodles and cheese 🙂
Chicken Broccoli Orzo Skillet
1 pound chicken breast, chopped into bite sized pieces
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tb butter
1/2 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp paprika
1 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup orzo, uncooked
3 cups broccoli, chopped
1/2 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until chicken is cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onions to pan and cook until they being to turn brown and translucent. Add garlic and paprika and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and water to pan. Add orzo, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and add chopped broccoli. Stir to combine, cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes allowing broccoli to steam and orzo to finish cooking.
- Remove the lid and add milk, shredded cheese and cooked chicken. Stir to combine, cook an additional 2-3 minutes on low until cheese has melted.
Another way we passed the time yesterday since none of us really wanted to go outside was with these super fun water beads my sister recommended to me. I wasn’t sure what the kids would do with them, but I got out some bowls and serving utensils and let them go. They were occupied with these suckers for about 45 minutes!
Super fun tactile activity and something you can save and use again! Link is below if you want to get them from Amazon.
Hope everyone is hanging in there. Sunnier and warmer days ahead! Be safe!